You know in every shelter dogs life, there is the why are you here?? I think I know why. At least this is the only reason I can think of at the moment. When you get a dog, you have to find out why someone got rid of it. Then, you have to decide if you can fix/ or live with the problem.
- Did they move and couldnt take her? Maybe, unknown because she was roaming the city streets.
- Is she potty trained? Yes, fairly well for being in a place with no bathroom access for 30 days.
- Does she bark excessively? No, just at people coming in which is good.
- Is she bitey? No, she doesn’t even like to play bite.
- Does she hate cats? Yes, but she has prey drive..its the breed traits. That can be trained out.
- Does she have too much energy? No, she is calm in the house even though she does require a lot of running, but what shepherd doesnt.
- Is she bad with kids? I would say no. Mine are 11, 12 and she licks them to death.
- Does she jump up on people? Yes but it took her one day to stop..so No for the long term.
I was running out of questions to ask myself…
- Is she a “bad” dog? She has had no formal training and she is 1 1/2 so if that makes her a bad dog, it was the owners fault.
- Is she crate trained? Yes, she will go into a crate and sleep all night long fine.
- Does she have separation anxiety? BINGO! We have a winner!
All the other bad things have changed in this week, except for this. She is going absolutely crazy when I leave. I dont know what happened or why she is doing this. She doesnt even really know me. It makes me think she had this problem and that is why they just “let her go.” Alot of times people will just turn their dog loose because they think all shelter dogs get put down. Well it is true some do, but if there is nothing majorly wrong with them, they get adopted fairly easily. Facebook is awesome at helping people adopt. You can see what your shelter has without getting in the car only to be disappointed they had nothing you wanted.
So now we are dealing with that. How bad is it? Well I left her in the house while we left for one hour to see what she would eat…nothing but she left a huge pile of poo on my kitchen floor. So we crated her that eveningfor 4 hours, after giving her a walk to drain some energy, and came home to a half destroyed blanket and partially destroyed crate.
I left her today for an hour and this is what I came back to.
That front bottom bar was bent in also. I had already bent it back before I snapped the picture. Guess she really hated me being gone…or did she hate that pillow?
Happy Homesteading!! 😀