I love this recipe. A friend made it at a dinner she was hosting for our Sunday School class. It is super delish and very easy. I have changed the recipe slightly so I will post my recipe along with the original. Allow around an hour of time for this recipe 🙂
First you want to thaw and brown 2 lbs of hamburger in at least 4 TBS of butter. I actually use venison because we don’t really eat hamburger any more. Add one whole onion chopped finely and cook until the onions are soft. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of flour. Toss it around in the meat. This will help the soup not to have clumps of flour in it.
Next, puree 2 quarts of home canned tomatoes in a blender and add to a 2 gallon stock pot. Add 4 cups of raw milk, with cream if possible. Chop 3 large potatoes into small pieces, the smaller the sooner they will get done, and add them to the stock pot. Cook on Medium until the potatoes are soft. If you are using raw veggies add them too to slow cook. Here is a pic of the stock pot with potato sizes.
If you are like me you have canned a butt load of veggies. I used my home canning veggies so I let the potatoes cook most of the way. Then I add 1 pint of carrots, 1 pint of corn, and 1 pint of green beans. Next, add in the hamburger from the pan to the stock pot and cook on low until all the veggies are warm. I do not use canned potatoes because the potatoes as they cook will help take some of the strong tomato taste out of the canned tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top off each bowl with some shredded cheddar cheese. Here is a pic of the finished soup.
So Here is the recipe I made. This will feed a family of 4 twice, so pop the left overs in the freezer for a quick meal!
2 lbs ground beef or venison 4 TBS butter
1 onion chopped finely 1 cup white wheat flour
2 quarts of pureed home canned tomatoes 4 cups of raw milk with cream
3 large potatoes cut into small pieces 1 pint of home canned green beans
1 pint of home canned carrots 1 pint of home canned corn
salt and pepper to taste top with cheddar cheese
- Brown hamburger in skillet with 4 TBS butter.
- Add chopped onion and cook until onion is soft.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup of flour and toss through. Set this all aside for later.
- Place 2 quarts of pureed canned tomatoes into a stock pot.
- Add 4 cups of raw milk with cream.
- Add 3 potatoes chopped small and cook on medium until potatoes start to get soft.
- Once potatoes are soft add remaining home canned vegetable, and meat from the skillet.
- Cook on low stirring frequently, be careful not to scorch the bottom. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Turn off heat, cover with a lid and let remain warm until you are read to serve. Top each bowl with shredded cheddar and serve with some sour dough bread.
1 c. sliced carrots 1 c. diced potatoes
1 c. chopped onion 2 c. tomato juice
1 1/2 tsp salt 2 TBS butter
1 lb of hamburger 1/3 c. flour
4 c. rich milk
1. Cook vegetables with tomato juice, salt and butter until tender
2. Brown hamburger, toss with flour and add to vegetables.
3. Add milk to the soup.
4. Simmer a little longer and serve hot.
Hope you Enjoy! Happy Homesteading!! 😀