I have never had sourdough. Well not that I was aware of.  I’m starting to get into fermenting and all that jazz so I decided it would be a great start.  Now it’s not a Traditional Sourdough because I used bread yeast, but it was sourdough non the less.  I had no idea what to expect except that of course it would ferment on my counter for 3-5 days. I was to stir 2-3 times a day.  Well after two days it started looking weird.  It had a yellowish liquid on top. It would stir in but I wasn’t sure if I should pour it off or not.

I started the search on the internet and found a site that said it is an alcohol and can either be stirred back in and it will cook off when you make the bread or you can pour it off.  Here is what it looks like the first day.



It was really bubbly!  Like I said, I just poured off the liquid as it started to get to be a lot.  I let it sit 4 days and I pretty much knew it was ready.  It was beyond the yeast stage.  It was about the consistency of a good pancake batter.  I started the process of making it into the bread.  I think since I poured off the liquid it really used a lot less flour.  I think next time I will leave the liquid in and add a little more flour.  My recipe also said to divide it into two balls to make two loaves about 12 inches round. I want to make a long “french bread” looking loaf next time.    Here is a picture of when it was done. It tasted really good.  I’ll post the recipe below.


Sourdough Starter-  Dissolve 1 package of yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.  Stir in 2 cups warm water, 2 cups of flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 TBS of sugar.  Beat until smooth. Let stand uncovered at room temperature for 3-5 days. Stir 2-3 times daily, cover at night. Cover and refridgerate until ready to make bread.

NOTE: Use a larger container because mine bubbled over the first day. After that its not that bad.

Sourdough Bread:

1 package of active dry yeast

1 1/2 c warm water

1 cup starter batter

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons sugar

5 1/4- 5 1/2 cups flour (I only used 4 cups with pouring off the liquid)

1/2 tsp soda

Soften yeast in warm water. Blend in starter batter, salt, and sugar. Add 3 1/2 C flour.  Beat 3-4 minutes. Cover; let rise till double. Mix soda with 1 1/2 cups flour; stir into dough. Add enough additional flour for stiff dough.

Turn out on lightly floured surface; kneed 8-10 minutes. Divide dough in half; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into 2 round or oval loaves. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. With sharp knife, make a diagonal gashes across the top. Let rise till double. Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes. Brush with butter.

To keep Starter:

Add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup flour, and 1 teaspoon sugar to leftover starter batter. Let stand till bubbly and well fermented- at least 1 day.  Store in refrigerator. If not used within 10 days, add 1 tsp of sugar.

Enjoy!  Happy Homesteading!! 😀

Categories: Homesteading, Recipes | 7 Comments

Post navigation

7 thoughts on “Sourdough

  1. Your first two loaves look better than the first time I tried sourdough this summer! I captured my wild yeast first so maybe starting with the packet would work better for me too. I also like to use wheat for feeding the starter and using white for making the bread. It makes a for nice light wheat flavor. I think I will try adding a little sugar to my starter as well, my method doesn’t call for it. Does it make for a sweeter taste in the bread or does it get used up by the starter?

    • This first time I used regular bread yeast. It was sour despite the sugar added. This time around I am trying the wild yeast way and I am not sure what it is doing. I’m doing what the Nourishing Traditions book says to do. It is doing something because I have an alcohol on top, but it doesn’t smell sour like the other way did. I still have 3 or 4 days left before they say I can use it so I guess I’ll have to do an update on wild yeast. If it doesn’t work out I guess I’ll try adding sugar to this wild one to see if it just needed a boost. A friend is trying a packet from Cultures for Health so I’ll try to remember to update you on how that works out.

      • When I captured the yeast it did take about a full week for the stuff to get good and active. It didn’t smell very sour, kinda like a beer without the alcohol. The other thing that I found with my bread was that I needed to make sure I did all of it in one day. If I let it rise in the fridge overnight it gets too sourdoughy for my taste.

      • Thanks for the input. I am on day 5 and it has something going. It looked more frothy but doesn’t smell like anything really. I’ll be sure to make the bread all in one day. 🙂

  2. The loaves are beautiful! This is one of my tasks this month is to try sourdough. We really need to live next door to each other so we can make all this stuff together! 🙂

    • It would be great if we lived next to each other! I am looking forward to making Traditional Sourdough. My starter looked awesome today on day 6!

  3. thatoldschoolgirl

    Reblogged this on thatoldschoolgirl's Blog.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: